Nolah Mattress Review
Who are the Nolah mattresses for?
Nolah Original 10”
- Side sleepers – whether a pure side sleeper or combination side sleeper, Nolah mattresses provide great pressure relief on the hips and shoulders.
- Value shoppers. For its price point, Nolah mattresses offer a lot of bed for your dollars. It’s also durable and, being made for comfort, is an easy favorite across broad categories of sleepers.
- Shoppers who value the ethics of a company. If you are an animal-lover, you will appreciate that every purchase of a Nolah mattress supports wildlife causes.
- Sleepers with a small- to medium-sized physique.
- Sleepers with special needs around comfort. These mattresses are made to be comfortable and the foam cradles the body to offer support and relief for anyone with aches and pains.
- Anyone who is looking for a foam mattress without the worry of overheating. The Nolah Original 10” is temperature neutral.
- Couples. Nolah AirFoam offers impressive motion isolation for sensitive sleepers.
Nolah Signature 12”
- People unsure of their sleeping category. This mattress comes with a soft and a firm side for total flexibility.
- While this mattress is suitable for back and stomach sleepers, it also provides pressure relief for side sleepers.
- Shoppers on the market for a bed for life. Nolah offers a lifetime warranty for the Signature 12”.
- Anyone looking to do business with companies who make a difference. As with the Original, support wildlife with every purchase of a Signature.
- People with a preference for softer mattresses. In comparison with the Original, the Signature is softer on the firmness scale and is body conforming.
- If you are slightly heavier, you’ll want to look into the thicker Signature 12” over the Original 10”.
Who won’t love Nolah mattresses?
Nolah Original 10”
- People in higher weight brackets – especially those who sleep on their back or stomach.
- Budget buyers.
- Shoppers with a preference for a firm bed.
- Anyone who sleeps hot and who requires efficient cooling. While Nolah mattresses are cooler than standard memory foam, this mattress is more temperature neutral than cooling.
Nolah Signature 12”
- Budget shoppers.
- Someone looking for a medium-firm mattress. Although the different sides offered by this flippable mattress offer different firmness levels, it likely won’t cater for those with a medium-firm preference.
- Anyone who changes sleeping position frequently throughout the night. Restless sleepers may find each side falls short of their comfort requirements during the night.
- If you have a petite or medium body shape, the Nolah 12” might be overkill in terms of price, with the 10” being more than adequate.
Nolah company policy
On their website, Nolah describes themselves as a “technology-driven company” and we can’t help but agree. With an abiding history in the mattress market, they launched in 2015. Their claim to fame is that they have evolved memory foam into their signature AirFoam, with some great features for those on the market for a new mattress. Nolah has a BBB rating of A.
Another attractive feature of Nolah is their culture. The first thing that will strike you is the commitment to wildlife conservation with every purchase. For every mattress bought, Nolah will make a donation to protect American wildlife and their habitats. They also donate or recycle used returned mattresses, which has real philanthropic and environmental benefits.
Shipping: How long will it take your Nolah mattress to get to you? Every Nolah mattress is made-to-order and should arrive with you between four and eight business days.
Old mattress removal: At the time of writing, white glove delivery and old mattress removal were not available.
Payment accepted, financing: Nolah has financing options on both the Original and Signature mattresses. These are 0% APR financing through Klarna – with 6, 12, and 24-month flexible options.
Returns and refund: Nolah offers a full money-back guarantee on returns made during the 120-night trial period.
Sleep trial period: As above, Nolah gives you 120 nights to make up your mind about your new mattress. They do, however, stipulate that returns are not accepted within the first 30 days of delivery, giving your body time to adjust to the new mattress.
Warranties: The Original 10” mattress comes with a 15-year warranty and Nolah will, at their discretion, repair or replace mattresses and cover the cost of this during this warranty period. The Signature 12” comes with an amazing lifetime warranty. As with everything, certain terms and conditions apply, so it is worth familiarizing yourself with Nolah’s warranty policies.
Packaging and unpacking: As a bed-in-the-box mattress, Nolah mattresses pack down small. They are compressed, sealed in plastic, and boxed and are simple to unpack. After removing it from the box and taking it out of its plastic wrapping, you will need to give it a few hours to decompress properly.
Smell (off gassing), harmful chemicals: We observed a slight smell upon unboxing – but this tends to be the case with all bed-in-a-box mattresses. The smell disappears relatively quickly and, if you are sensitive to smell, it won’t hurt to open windows and use a fan to help the process along. It is also CertiPUR-US certified, so you can rest assured it’s safe for you and the environment.
Where are the mattresses made? Nolah Mattresses are made in the USA.
Nolah mattress measurements and pricing
Nolah offers regular discounts on mattresses bought on their website. Click here to get their latest offer.
Nolah mattress performance
If you are a side sleeper, look no further. Nolah Mattresses are some of the top mattresses for side sleepers and have pocketed some awards for this. At Mattress Portal, the thing that stands out is the commitment to this kind of sleeper through a culture of inventiveness. Nolah’s AirFoam mattresses have shifted the goalposts, overshadowing traditional memory foam, latex, and coil varieties for comfort.
They also take it a step further with the 12”. This is a mattress most people will love, with flippable flexibility for almost every kind of sleeper. Nolah is also gaining recognition in the industry for the pain relief offered by their mattresses. If you experience pain, this is worth looking into as a therapeutic sleep option.
Construction layers and materials used
Nolah Original 10”
Nolah mattresses are all-foam mattresses – which are very in vogue in the mattress world at the moment. The difference lies in the AirFoam technology. With 2” of AirFoam on the top layer, you get the benefits of this aerated foam which is temperature-regulating, soft, and supportive. The 1” transition layer is made from polyfoam and assists in giving the top layer its responsiveness – unlike many varieties of memory foam which hold the shape of the sleeper. The 7” base foam contributes to the breathability and support of the mattress overall.
Nolah Signature 12”
It bears repeating that one of the outstanding features of the Nolah 12” mattress is that it is flippable, with a soft and firm side. The soft side has a thicker layer of Nolah’s signature AirFoam – perfect for stomach sleepers without that sinking feeling. The firm side has a thinner layer of AirFoam, so you still enjoy the temperature regulating and responsiveness of the technology with a firmer feel.
The 7 inches of base foam are both critical for ventilation of the foam and for the reactiveness of the top layers on both sides of the mattress. It also makes for the extreme durability of this mattress which – it is worth reminding you – holds a lifetime warranty. The overall support is complemented by the high-resilience support layer.
The cover on both mattresses is an organic viscose/polyester blended fabric which is ultra-soft and moves moisture away from the body – one of the features making this a temperature neutral mattress. It is also free from any dangerous chemicals which, together with the CertiPUR-US certification, makes for real peace of mind when it comes to your health and the good of the environment.
- 2” AirFoam
- 1” High-resilience foam support layer
- 7” High-density base foam
- 2.5” cooling AirFoam (soft layer)
- 1.5” high-resilience support foam
- 7” high-density base foam
- 1” of AirFoam (firm layer)
Nolah mattresses firmness and pressure relief
The Nolah Original 10” mattress offers some of the most impressive pressure relief for side sleepers available on the market. If you are a heavier sleeper or someone who tends towards being a stomach or back sleeper, you might want to consider a different brand to suit your sleeping profile as this mattress will probably not provide the alignment you need in a long-term mattress.
That said, most sleepers in the petite to medium size category (about 230lbs or lower) will find the Nolah 10” very comfortable and supportive.
The Nolah Signature 12” offers the best of both worlds in terms of firmness. With a soft and firm side, this mattress is a really good fit for side, stomach, back, and combination sleepers. As with the 10” option, heavier sleepers will probably prefer the firm side for its additional support.
MATTRESS FIRMNESS SCALE
|Soft||Medium Soft||Medium||Medium Firm||Firm|
Nolah Original 10"
Nolah Signature 12" (Flippable)
Nolah mattress edge support
The foam construction of Nolah mattresses offer support – right up to the edges. If you sleep close to the edge or migrate there during the night, the edge support is good enough to keep you stable as you sleep and performs well relative to other all-foam mattresses. However, this has been a point of complaint for some online customers so, if edge support is a deal-breaker, you might want to bear this in mind.
|Perfect for||Thickness||Edge Support||Discount|
Small to medium built individuals with a weight limit of 230lbs
Side, back, stomach, and combination sleepers – with a choice of firm and medium soft sides
Nolah mattress temperature regulation
Nolah’s AirFoam technology – together with the different ventilation properties of the support and base foams – have certain cooling features which make this a temperature neutral rather than a cooling mattress. If you sleep hot and want a mattress that alleviates this problem, you might want to shop around. For most people, however, you should sleep comfortably on these breathable mattresses. If you are on the market for an all-foam mattress, these mattresses are definitely top of their class for all-foam cooling. In addition, the viscose cover wicks moisture which helps with temperature management and comfort as you sleep.
MATTRESS TEMPERATURE SCALE
|Cool||Medium Cool||Medium||Medium Warm||Warm|
Nolah Original 10"
Nolah Signature 12"
Motion isolation and noise
Nolah Mattresses provide impressive motion isolation and are completely noiseless. If you are sharing your bed with a partner, this is going to be invaluable to uninterrupted sleep.
Is Nolah suitable for couples and sex?
Nolah offers noteworthy responsiveness for a foam mattress. However, it doesn’t qualify as bouncy, which is unsurprising in an all-foam mattress. While motion isolation and the silence of the mattress make it great for couples, this feature can have an impact on the performance of the mattress for the purposes of sex. Lastly, the lack of sturdy edge support could be a gripe for couples – especially in the case of smaller-sized mattresses.
Durability and longevity
Let’s be honest, different mattresses age differently in the hands of different people. In developing their bespoke foam, Nolah had durability in mind. As a result, it outlasts other foam and latex mattresses in its class. In fact, with its 15-year and lifetime warranty options for the 10” and 12” mattresses respectively, you can certainly expect your mattress to outlive comparable bed-in-a-box mattresses.
Nolah mattresses are compatible with a broad range of bases. For slatted base options, Nolah recommends that the slats shouldn’t be more than 4 inches apart in the interests of support. Nolah also has two base options available on their website.
COMPATIBLE WITH THESE BED BASES
Nolah mattress complaints
People who own a Nolah tend to sing its praises – especially side sleepers and people who struggle with pain. However, the complaints we have found online relate to the following:
- The lack of edge support for some mattress owners has negatively affected their sleep – something which reviewers have been unable to overlook over time.
- Some people reported a lack of pressure relief when sleeping on their stomachs. However, this was in the case of slightly heavier individuals.
- Price has been a burning point amongst consumers, with some feeling that the price is too high.
Our final verdict: Do we recommend the Nolah mattress brand?
We love products where passionate people have taken traditional designs and materials and created something new. Nolah’s AirFoam is just that. All-foam mattresses are very popular at the moment and we are very excited to see how their mattresses perform in this climate. As a company, their warranties vouch for an intrinsic belief in their products and we have been immensely impressed.
In particular, we are big fans of the Signature 12” for its flexibility. It may come in at a slightly higher price point, but it is pretty unlikely that one of the two sides won’t suit your preferences and believe it offers great value for durability and the quality of the materials used.
More than anything, a great mattress comes down to the quality of your night’s sleep. We are extremely pleased to see such a large number of people reporting back that their pains have been soothed since sleeping on this mattress and this kind of pressure relief is a feature many will enjoy on Nolah mattresses.
Nolah mattresses are only available online and they do not have bricks and mortar stores. Visit their website at nolahmattress.com
Nolah mattresses are priced quite high and whether it is worth the money will come down to your idea of value. Notwithstanding their warranties, this is not necessarily going to be the last mattress you ever own. That said, many side sleepers and people struggling with shoulder and body pain have reported their best nights’ sleep on Nolah mattresses – something which is unquantifiable in terms of health benefits and quality of life.
As anyone at Mattress Portal will tell you, a great mattress is one of the best investments you can make. If you are on the market for a mattress, their returns policy and trial period make assessing the mattress for yourself a low-risk endeavour. And, who knows, you could have your best night’s sleep at the end of it.
Nolah Mattresses are made in the USA and Nolah is based out of Colorado.
- Visit the Nolah Mattress website on nolahmattress.com and click through to their contact page.
- Select ‘Request return’ on the email contact form on that page.
- Nolah will make the necessary arrangements for collection of the mattress, which will be donated to a local charity or recycling program.
- Scan or take a digital photo of your pick up receipt and send it through to Nolah.
- They will refund you within seven days of receiving your scan or picture.
Nolah Original 10”
Nolah Signature 12”