Titan Mattress Review
Who is the Titan mattress for?
- Heavier or plus size sleepers – The Titan mattress’ extra strong support core makes it a perfect mattress for sleepers with heavier frames who weigh in excess of 250lbs.
- Bigger sleepers that warm-up easily overnight – Titan offers the extra option of a cooling cover with the purchase of their mattress. This cover boasts some great active cooling elements for overly warm sleepers.
- Back and stomach sleepers – This mattress focuses primarily on delivering sturdy support for taller and heavier body types. Its increased firmness makes it a reliable choice for back and stomach sleepers.
- Couples that enjoy a firm mattress – The Titan mattress may not be the most responsive mattress on the market, but it does have great edge support and motion isolation due to the reinforced nature of its design. This is beneficial for couples who might tend to disturb each other during sleep.
- Anyone who is looking for a really durable mattress – These mattresses have a really smart, stable hybrid design and the textiles used in its construction aren’t low quality. We predict it should last well into its 10-year warranty.
Who won’t love the Titan mattress?
- Petite or light sleepers – Because this mattress is made to be consistently firm it isn’t the best option for sleepers below around 150lbs. These sleepers will need a mattress that is a bit softer to help them sink into the comfort layer.
- Anyone who needs some kind of pressure relief – This mattress doesn’t carry the same responsiveness that innerspring or latex models carry, and it’s too firm for sleepers who need something to provide extra contour support.
Titan company policy
Shipping: Titan mattresses come shipped in a box to your door via ground courier services. Shipping is free of charge.
Old mattress removal: Brooklyn Bedding does not offer any mattress removal service with their deliveries. You can arrange to have the mattress collected through municipal services or through donation programs.
Payment accepted, financing: There are no financing options at the moment for the Titan mattress. They can be bought using most major credit cards.
Returns and refund: Brooklyn Bedding will refund you in full if you’re not satisfied with your purchase. They will arrange to have your mattress collected and sent to a donation program.
Sleep trial period: Titan mattresses come with a 120-night sleep trial. After 30 days buyers can opt to have the latex topper sent to them if they’d like to add some pressure relief to their mattress.
Warranties: Every Titan mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
Packaging and unpacking: Your mattress will be delivered to your doorstep in a box. This box can be easily moved into your living space and is easy to unpack and install with one or two people. Your mattress will take a day or two to fully expand.
Smell (off-gassing), harmful chemicals: The Titan mattress is Certi-PUR certified, this means it’s made without the use of toxic chemicals or heavy metals.
Where are the mattresses made? Every Titan mattress comes from their factory headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
Titan measurements and pricing
Titan mattress performance
The Titan mattress centralizes its core design concepts around creating quality sleeping conditions for taller or heavier human beings. To the untrained eye, the easy solution to this challenge would be to just buy as big a mattress as possible of any commercial or regular mattress range. This wouldn’t be a waste, but you (as a large sleeper) will more likely get an optimum sleep on something that is fine-tuned to your needs. This mattress is made using a hybrid design which is quite unique to the mattress itself. Titan mattresses also feature some optional add ons that even middleweight sleepers may find useful or at the very least, enticing.
Construction layers and materials used
Even though the Titan mattress feels like a traditional memory foam mattress to the plus-sized demographic that it caters to, its construction is slightly more complex. The mattress is actually an unassuming hybrid design that has some subtle but very necessary reinforcements to ensure that the mattress holds up to the same standard as those designed for more common sleeping types. Next, we’ll go through each respective layer used in the construction of the Titan mattress.
- Stretch Knit Cover – This is a widely used option for many mattress designers and manufacturers because of its luxurious feeling finish and its ability to help regulate temperature across the surface area. This cover is no exception to that notion and is soft to the touch which is a nice complementary element for the above-average firmness of this mattress.
- Gel Memory Foam – The comfort layer is the top end of the layering system and is the layer closest to the body. This particular comfort layer is just 1 inch thick and is made up of memory foam infused with some cooling agents. Heavier sleepers are more likely to generate excess body heat, so this first layer is really advantageous for temperature regulation.
- Titanflex Polyfoam – The Titanflex polyfoam is a hybridized memory form that is a patented design by the team at Brooklyn Beds. This foam adds a bit of pressure relief to help compensate for the mattress’s firm characteristics. Side sleepers over 220lbs should get the most benefits from this extra bit of contour support. This layer adds around 2 inches to the total height profile.
- Pocketed Coils – This layer is responsible for providing some pressure relief for sleepers, although medium to lightweight sleepers will probably not feel its function due to the very firm tuning in the mattress layering. Each coil is individually housed, which helps to diffuse any noises caused by movements on the surface and also aids airflow.
- High-Density Polyfoam Support Base – Two inches of high-density polyfoam sit underneath the pocketed coil layer at the bottom end of the Titan mattress’ layering system. This final layer acts as a buffer between the floor and the coils and helps to solidify and reinforce the mattress frame by giving it a solid base. We feel this layer plays a vital role in handling the extra weight requirements of bigger sleepers.
- Cooling Topper (optional) – This topper comes as an optional extra with your purchase. The topper doesn’t really affect the overall firmness levels or pressure response in any way and has some mild active cooling properties. Should you select this when buying your mattress it will be sewn into the layering system before being boxed and delivered to you.
- Talalay Latex Topper – A really handy optional add on for plus size sleepers who might need some additional contour support for pressure relief while sleeping, especially side sleepers. The latex in this topper means that it won’t generate any excess heat and comes at a relatively reasonable price given the quality materials used in this layer.
- Quilted Stretch Knitted Cover
- 1″ Gel Memory Foam
- 2″ Titanflex Polyfoam
- 6″ Pocketed Coil
- 2″ Polyfoam
Titan mattress firmness
The Titan mattress is available in just one level of firmness. This is probably due to the fact that its design is only focused on one specific weight class of sleeper. This is definitely one of the firmer mattresses we’ve tried out, but we also have to consider its firmness from the perspective of someone who is heavier than most sleepers. With that in mind, we think the mattress sits at around an 8 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which is a definite firm.
This mattress will feel just about right for stomach and back sleepers over 220lbs. Anyone who is lighter than this may have trouble getting their body to comfortably sink into the comfort layers of the mattress. Very petite sleepers will definitely find this mattress too firm for their sleeping requirements.
Here’s a basic chart to help you understand where the Titan mattress sits on our relative firmness chart. This is a subjective score and is based on the idea of a sleeper who weighs above 220lbs.
MATTRESS FIRMNESS SCALE
|Soft||Medium Soft||Medium||Medium Firm||Firm|
Sleep position, pressure relief and body type
Everyone has their own respective sleeping requirements unique to their body type, weight, and habits during slumber. Unlike our other mattress reviews, we’re going to cover this section in relation to plus size sleepers. This mattress is specifically designed around the sleeping requirements of heavier body weights and taller frames. Even then, it still might suit the odd medium weight sleeper, or it might not be a heavier sleeper’s first choice for quality rest. Below we’ve listed some of the more common sleeping types and habits to help you understand whether this mattress is the perfect fit for you.
These sleepers will get the most benefits out of the design of this mattress. Back sleepers concentrate most of their pressure around the hips or lower back area. The extra reinforced layering system allows heavier sleepers to maintain their sleeping position at a comfortable level, without any strain in the lower back region where the most strain usually occurs for these sleeping types. Medium sleepers under 200lbs who need extra support for their back might enjoy the feeling this mattress gives off.
This area is a bit touch-and-go for side sleepers. Because of this mattress’ firmer construction, it does not naturally favor the contoured pressure that side sleepers disperse throughout the length of their body. We can only assume that this issue has come to light for the Titan manufacturers and this is why they introduced their latex mattress topper. This topper will provide considerable extra pressure relief for heavier sleepers who need some form of added pressure relief.
As with back sleepers, these types of sleepers concentrate most of their weight around their pelvic and lower back region. The Titan mattress’ firm structure means that heavier sleepers will have no problem settling into a comfortable prone position. The top comfort layers also sink the sleeper’s body into the mattress which helps stop the body from resting at any awkward angles. Again, there may be some medium weight stomach sleepers around 220bs that need some added frame support, in which case the Titan mattress may be a good pick.
Titan mattresses will best suit combination sleepers that shift between their back and stomach positions. Combo sleepers who switch to their sides should still get a reasonable rest although this will vary a bit more from person to person. The pocketed coils in the layering absorb and react quite efficiently to shifting pressures caused by sleepers that change positions so they can do so without disturbing their own sleep.
As stated before this mattress greatly favors heavier or taller sleepers. The overall firmness of this mattress is perfect for sleepers who weigh in excess of 220 lbs. It provides stable support so that heavier body types have the same comfortable sleeping experience that medium weight sleepers do with most commercial mattress types. This will vary depending on your sleeping habits but this mattress is a much safer bet for heavier sleepers than most other mattresses on the market.
Naturally, this mattress does not really suit the needs of lighter or smaller sleepers. These sleepers need mattresses that have much softer firmness levels to allow their bodies to properly sink into the surface. This mattress will feel too rigid against the bodies of petite sleepers even with the additional latex topper thrown on top.
Titan edge support
Thanks to the durable nature of the Titan mattress’ design it has some really impressive edge support. Heavier and taller sleepers need extra support when getting in and out of bed because of their larger body proportions. Taller sleepers also need more space to sleep so the edge is as vital as the center of the mattress. This mattress is quite firm even when heavy sleepers place most of their weight along the rim of the mattress. We couldn’t notice any sort of significant dip or sag in the pocketed coils or top layer and feel that this mattress can firmly accommodate the edge support requirements for sleepers over 250lbs.
|Perfect for||Thickness||Edge Support||Discount|
Back/Stomach sleepers over 220lbs
Titan mattress temperature regulation
This will be a bit subjective depending on the amount of heat and moisture the sleeper generates during their sleep cycle. We would advise trying out the cooling cover with your purchase as the bed naturally feels like it sits at a neutral medium on our temperature scale. Heavier sleepers can tend to heat up quicker than most sleepers so we predict the cooling cover will come in handy regardless of whether or not you require active cooling. We do think that there are some instances (heavy couples, overly humid climates) where the mattress may not provide enough cooling throughout the layering for optimum rest.
MATTRESS TEMPERATURE SCALE
|Cool||Medium Cool||Medium||Medium Warm||Warm|
Motion isolation and noise
Motion isolation important to couples with partners who may disrupt each other’s sleep with movements. This may be anything from changing positions, to getting up to use the bathroom overnight. This is even more important if one of you is a plus-sized sleeper as heavier sleepers obviously cause larger disruptions with their movements.
This mattress is very good at absorbing the movements of heavier sleepers, but we think if you’re beyond the 300lb mark you may slightly disturb your partner’s rest. The isolation is great, but it’s not perfect and does have its limitations. The pocketed coils in this design are nearly silent under the weight of shifting pressure, so this bed won’t have any strange or abrasive noises coming out of it when heavier sleepers move around on it.
Is Titan suitable for couples and sex?
Part of the appeal of the Titan’s design is that it covers more than just the needs of a single resting sleeper. We think this is a great mattress for heavier sleepers to enjoy a vibrant and healthy sex life with. It has enough firmness to provide sturdy support for heavy body types and the pocketed coil layering gives the mattress just the right amount of elasticity and response for couples to move with each other without any major hindrances.
The quick responsiveness is also great for allowing a bit of airflow and ventilation through the body of the mattress so that couples won’t absorb any of each other’s excess body heat unnecessarily. The edge support on the Titan mattress means that taller sleepers or couples can use the entire surface area of their mattress quite comfortably.
Durability and longevity
The Titan mattress comes with a 10-year warranty. This is a pretty normal length of time for mattress companies to offer and we have every reason to think that this mattress will last well into its warranty. The construction and layering in this mattress are very smart and the designers seemed to have tried to reinforce every element on this mattress so that it lasts as long as possible.
That being said, we do think this mattress may depreciate at a quicker rate than normal under hot or very humid conditions. This will be even more aggravated if the mattress is for a heavy couple. With decent care and upkeep, this mattress should otherwise last around 5-8 years before sleepers start to notice any natural wear and tear.
Brooklyn Bedding offers a number of accessories to help enhance the comfort and durability of the Titan mattress. These include two types of foundations that cater to the requirements of heavier sleepers. The first is a metal frame that they call their High Rise Platform. This works just as most metal frames do but comes with some much needed extra tensile support to allow heavier sleepers to accommodate for some pressure relief caused by shifting movements on the bed. The second foundation is their Ascension Bi-Fold which looks just like a box spring but also has some extra support in its frame to help host the weight of heavy sleepers.
Titan also offers an adjustable base, which we think may be a bit tedious to maneuver with a mattress this firm. Make sure you understand which base suits your sleeping environments when buying a base so that you can get the most out of your mattress.
COMPATIBLE WITH THESE BED BASES
Titan mattress complaints
- This mattress may even be a bit too firm for some plus-sized sleepers, it might have been handy to have a softer model on offer in conjunction with the standard mattress.
- If you’re in a heavy couple where both of you tend to overheat this mattress may not be able to sufficiently cool both of you down. This is pretty much imminent if you live in consistently warm and humid climates.
Our final verdict: Do we recommend the Titan mattress brand?
- The Titan mattress is a really great mattress or heavier and taller sleeping type.
- We really like the optional extras that come with the purchase of the mattress. The cooling cover is great for some extra minor cooling and the latex topper does a great job of providing a bit of extra pressure relief.
- This mattress will easily hold the combined weight of most couples. It has some really good motion isolation and the edge support is superb. This mattress is not a bad option for medium to heavy couples.
- We were pretty impressed by the attention to detail that went into this mattress’ layering system. We think that every layer works really cohesively with the next and this mattress should have a healthy lifespan. Thanks for reading through our Titan mattress review. We hope this was a helpful guide.
The Titan mattress is 11 inches thick in total.
The mattress is available for online purchase through their website store.
We feel that the Titan mattress ticks most of the boxes it aims to and is worth the price tag it comes with.
Titan mattresses are manufactured from their Brooklyn Bed factories in Phoenix Arizona, USA.