Best Mattresses for College Students
The best mattresses for college students
- Editor’s Pick – Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
- Best Organic and Natural College Mattress – Avocado
- Best College Mattress for Stomach Sleepers – Loom and Leaf
- Best Memory Foam College Mattress – Nectar
- Best College Mattress for Hot Side Sleepers – Bear
- Best Bed in a Box for College Students – Awara
- Best Mattress for Dorm Rooms – Dreamcloud
- It’s thoughtfully constructed with a multi-layered design
- A winning feature for the Aurora Hybrid is the coils; they let cold air through and warm air out, a great amenity for ‘hot sleepers’
- It offers great value for money
- The company gives you 120 days to try out the mattress and 10 years warranty
Best Organic and Natural
- Avocado mattresses are made from natural materials using eco-friendly manufacturing methods
- It only takes 15 minutes to unpack this mattress
- The Avocado comes in two options; firm and medium firm
- Although it has no cooling cover, you can expect lots of airflow through the independent pocketed coils
- The fact that less of your body heat reflects on you while sleeping is another reason to buy the Avocado
- It’s backed by a 25-year warranty and a one-year risk-free trial
Best for Stomach Sleepers
- Temperature regulation is no issue for this mattress; music in the ears of hot sleepers.
- With an organic cotton pillow top, this mattress excels at responsiveness and even if you’re heavy, your hips just won’t sink.
- The reactivity on this mattress is unmatched; it bounces back quickly without giving you the feeling of being stuck in quicksand
- It comes with a 120-night trial and a 15-year warranty
Best Memory Foam
- Nectar claims that less than 3% of their customers return the mattress. Those are some pretty good success rates if you ask me. Mattress Nerd picked it as one of the best Mattresses for 2020.
- It’s definitely worth the investment for those who like memory foam
- It comes with a cover that’s resistant to dust mites and bed bugs
- Great value for money
- Comes with lifetime warranty and a 1-year trial period
Best for Hot Side Sleepers
- It comes with an FDA-approved celliant cover
- Suitable for different sleepers
- The Bear is shipped for free, comes in a box
- You get a 100-night trial, risk-free and a 10 years warranty
Best Bed in a Box
- The Awara has good motion isolation, which is perfect for light sleepers
- Offers superb edge support
- Made from certified natural wool
- It’s backed by a 1-year return policy and a lifetime warranty
Best for Dorm Rooms
- Offers optimal back support for college athletes
- Made from bespoke quilted fibers that offer optimal airflow
- CertiPUR certified
- Free delivery
- Very comfortable
- Dreamcloud offers 365 nights trial and lifetime warranty
Get $200 Off
The best cooling mattresses for hot sleepers reviewed
We’ve had a look at our top ten best mattresses for hot sleepers and the reasons to buy them. To help you narrow down your selection, we’ve rooted out the pros and cons with each and matched them to sleeping preferences.
1. Editor’s Pick – Brooklyn Bedding
- For those who sleep on their stomach, the firm option is ideal because anything softer won’t give enough back support. If the mattress isn’t firm enough, your hips might sink in and bring your spine out of alignment.
- All in all, the spine is in neutral alignment on this mattress. For those who sleep on their back, however, they might find that the medium firm Aurora hybrid gives way for the hips to sink in. This isn’t enough to raise alarm, but it’s important to remember that mattresses slowly lose integrity over time.
- Side sleepers shouldn’t have an issue with the Aurora; pocketed coils help structure layers in such a way that it distributes pressure all around. Even with your sharp shoulder pressing down on the mattress, you’ll hardly feel any strain.
- It’s suitable for different types of sleepers
- Responsive and perfect for active college students
- The chemical smell doesn’t last long
- It might not be too comfortable for back sleepers
2. Best Organic and Natural College Mattress – Avocado
- The standard version of the mattress is great for back sleepers as well as stomach sleepers. If you decide to add the pillow top, however, it doesn’t matter how you sleep. Also, due to the independent pocketed coils, it’s impossible for one movement on one side of the bed to be felt on the other side.
- Produced under eco-friendly conditions
- Made from natural, organic and chemical-free materials
- Quick and easy to setup
- Pocketed coils make for a comfortable sleep regardless of position
- It’s pricey but well worth it
3. Best College Mattress for Stomach Sleepers – Loom & Leaf
- The Loom and Leaf Mattress comes in relaxed firm and firm. It accommodates all kinds of sleepers but the firm is ideal for those sleeping on their backs and stomachs. The heavier you are, the more pressure you apply on to a mattress and the firmer that mattress needs to be to take your weight. Expect pressure relief on your shoulders and hips but keep watch for any hip-sinking as this might indicate improper support.
- Durable and well-made
- Responsive and comfortable
- Designed to regulate temperature levels while you sleep
- It’s breathable
- This mattress is on the smaller side
4. Best Memory Foam College Mattress – Nectar
- Nectar is great for all sleepers. If you sleep on your back or stomach, you shouldn’t have a problem. But, if you’re a heavy person then you might have a little trouble because of its versatility. With all the resistance the mattress has, one might need more energy to roll over, resulting in possible restlessness.
- For couples, Nectar is great because the firmness doesn’t decrease as you get closer to the edge. The tiniest movement might transfer to someone sleeping on the other side but it’s not enough to wake them up.
- Bug and mite resistant
- Offers decent edge support
- Comes with 2 free pillows!
- It’s a foam mattress that’s comfortable on all positions
- This mattress does offer limited bounce
5. Best College Mattress for Hot Side Sleepers – Bear
- All sleepers should enjoy using the Bear mattress but the more petite body types might not do well on such a firm mattress. If your body is small, you probably won’t get any pressure relief.
- Side sleepers will be especially pleased with this mattress. The edge support is good and with memory foam silencing all movement, light sleepers should appreciate this mattress as well.
- It’s made from cooling memory foam
- The brand offers free shipping
- Decent edge support
- Comes with an FDA-approved celiant cover
- Very affordable
- It might be too firm for petite body types
6. Best Bed in a Box for College Students – Awara
- Back sleepers would love this mattress, whether you’re a heavy or a light back sleeper. For stomach sleepers, the Amara mattress doesn’t overarch, and its only side sleepers who might not be too fond of it.
- If as a side sleeper you feel the pressure points taking their toll on you, that’s a sign of pressure relief. If you’re a side sleeper and you don’t experience this, the Awara is just fine for you.
- There’s minimal dip, which indicates great edge support and since its mostly made of coils, there’s good airflow meaning you won’t ‘sleep hot’.
- Perfect for back sleepers
- Made from natural materials
- Offers good back support
- It’s cooling and perfect for light sleepers
- It’s not suitable for side sleepers
- It’s a bit pricey
7. Best Mattress for Dorm Rooms – DreamCloud
- For a side sleeper, the Dreamcloud offers a lot of back support and lightweight customers shouldn’t encounter any challenges. For those that are heavier but not so curvy, the back is still supported. But, there might be a challenge for those that are heavy and curvy. It can give you a cradled, nestled feel, leaving you to sinking deeper than usual.
- As a heavy sleeper sinking deeper, your body’s surface area won’t be exposed and this means that you’ll just gather more and more heat.
- Very comfortable
- Offers optimal back support
- Breathable and suitable for different sleepers
- Comes with free delivery
- It can cause a sinking sensation for heavy and curvy sleepers
Sleep it off
There you have it, the best mattresses for college students right now. Figure out what type of sleeper you are, work out your budget and pick something that’s perfect for you and you alone.
According to a study done by the National Sleep Foundation about 86% of Students in the United States get far less sleep than that recommended (7 to 9 hours), giving rise to various health issues and a threat to the student’s academic success.
Remember that you’ll most likely sleep on the mattress in your college apartment for many nights, so make sure that you purchase a mattress that’s going to help you sleep better at night.