Brentwood Home Mattress Review
Who is the Brentwood Home mattress for?
- Consumers who value natural and organic products and desire an overall healthy lifestyle – Brentwood Home follows rigorous standards for environmental responsibility and the health of the consumer. Their mattresses are Organic certified, GREENGUARD Gold Certified and the foams Certi-PUR-US Certified.
- Hot Sleepers – Materials are breathable and moisture wicking, whilst the coils allow for air circulation.
- Couples – The mattresses isolate motion control fairly well; you are unlikely to be disturbed by the movement of your partner unless you are a light sleeper.
- Luxury shoppers – Brentwood Home manufactures luxury, healthy mattresses which are also reasonably priced considering the quality of materials used.
- Consumers who value social responsibility – Brentwood Home gives back to several social and environmental initiatives.
- Anyone who suffers with back, hip or side pain – (The Cedar Natural Luxe)
- Most side, back or stomach sleepers under 230lbs.
Who won’t love the Brentwood Home mattress?
- Customers on a tight budget. Handcrafted, natural and organic materials are more expensive.
- Sleepers who prefer a metal-free bed, as these hybrids contain steel coils.
- Stomach sleepers over 230 pounds may find the mattress lacks support. More details on this later in this mattress review.
Brentwood Home company policy
Brentwood Home is a Los Angeles, based eco-conscious mattress and bedding company that began as a family run business in the 1980’s. They have been in the mattress building industry for over 3 decades. Brentwood Home was founded in 1987 and most recognized for handcrafting luxury, non-toxic, and fine quality products, made in their own factory. The brand is inspired by “California Living and Ethos”. Fun fact – they also make pet beds!
Brentwood Home has a B+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Shipping: Delivery of your mattress is free with your purchase. Your mattress will be delivered to you in a box. There is also a white glove delivery service available which costs around $249.
Old mattress returns: The Premium White Delivery+ Removal of your old mattress costs an additional $275.
Payment accepted, financing: Purchases can be made using PayPal, Amazon Pay, Apple Pay and all major Credit Cards. Product financing options are available on their website via the Affirm payment platform.
Returns and refund: If you are not satisfied with your mattress after 30 days they will arrange for a pick up and provide a full refund, subject to their terms and conditions.
Sleep trial period: All Brentwood Home mattresses come with a 365-night trial period which exceeds the usual industry length of 120-nights.
Warranties: Brentwood Home mattresses come with a 25-year warranty. This is more than twice the general industry standard.
Packaging and unpacking: Brentwood Home mattresses come delivered to you in a box. Unpacking and installing the mattress is fairly easy and depending on the size of your mattress this can be done by two people. It takes about 48 hours for the mattress to fully expand.
Smell (off gassing), harmful chemicals: Brentwood Home mattresses are manufactured with a combination of natural, organic, and non-toxic materials. You may experience a slight smell upon opening your mattress, however the smell dissipates quickly.
Where are the mattresses made? Brentwood Home mattresses are made in the United States.
Brentwood Home measurements and pricing
Brentwood Home mattress performance
The right mattress for you, in my opinion, is one that not only provides the right balance between comfort for pressure relief and support for maintaining correct spinal alignment but also meets high levels of health and environmental standards. The Brentwood Home brand goes above and beyond just providing comfort and support with their breathable comfort layers and premium support zones. Even if you are not a nature freak, you can rest easy knowing Brentwood Homes have invested their time into ensuring their materials are ethically sourced, eco-friendly and endorsed with global certifications. Both the Oceano and the Cedar Natural Luxe set very high performance standards. Let’s have a look at how they are constructed and how they perform.
Construction layers and materials used
All of Brentwood Home mattresses are handcrafted and manufactured locally in their Los- Angeles based factory. This is very special considering most mattresses are imported. The layering is not simple, instead intelligently designed with quality, sustainability and health in mind.
Some of Brentwood Homes non-toxic materials include CertiPUR-US® certified cooling gel memory foam with BioFoam®, silk fibers, GOTS organic certified cotton and wool, GOLS certified Latex and sustainably-sourced plant-based TENCEL™ fibers from eucalyptus trees. No chemical or synthetic fiber flame retardants are used.
Both these models feature the premium Quantum® Edge and Combi-Zone® unit in their core support layer. Together these give the bed a consistent level of support all the way to the edge and features strategically placed zones that offer great support to the hips, back, and shoulders.
Oceano Luxury Hybrid
The Oceano is Brentwood Homes #1 Best-selling luxury Hybrid mattress, and rated as a medium-soft feel.
Made from natural and organic materials, with a premium coil support system and cooling gel infused BioFoam®. This mattress is known for its temperature regulating capabilities. We couldn’t wait to take a closer look below at the benefits of each layer.
- Plant-based Tencel cover – This eco-friendly cover of the Oceano mattress is composed of plant-based Tencel-blend. It is derived from Eucalyptus trees and is desired for its luxuriously soft and breathable qualities, its ability to transport moisture directly to the fiber core, keeping the surface dry. The said result: that up to 2000 times less bacteria grow on tencel fibers. The good news is that it is sustainably-sourced and biodegradable. It is said to be softer than silk, more absorbent than cotton and cooler than linen.
- GOTS organic certified wool layer – Brentwood Home manufacturing facility is GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) Certified, which means the wool is ethically sourced and meets the level of organic composition requirements. Wool is used for its comfort, moisture wicking, flame retardant and temperature regulating properties.
- Poly-silk fiber – The natural poly-silk blend is added to provide extra breathability to the comfort layer.
- Plant-based BioFoam® infused with cooling gel – This cooling gel infused memory foam made from plant-based BioFoam®, is what sets the Oceano apart from the other models, to provide heat dissipation and pressure relief.
- Micro-pocketed coil support – This is a 2.5″ layer of pocketed microcoils designed to provide super responsive pressure relief and targeted support.
- Certified high density support foam – The 1″ foam provides deep comfort for pressure-point relief, breathability and coolness. It is CertiPUR-US certified, which means the foam in the bedding or upholstered furniture has been tested to meet rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability. This layer acts as a transition layer to help the sleeper transition from the comfort of the pillow top to the support of the larger pocketed coils.
- 8″ 5-zoned support coils – This is an 8″ layer of 5-zone pocketed steel coils which offer strong support to keep the sleeper’s spine aligned. The coils are zoned, which means they are strategically positioned to offer varying support to targeted areas of the body such as the hips, back and shoulders.
- Certified high density support foam – Another 1-inch of certified foam to provide deep comfort for pressure-point relief and breathability.
- Organic certified cotton canvas base – 100% GOTS organic certified cotton canvas base in a Herringbone pattern.
Cedar Natural Luxe
Brentwood Homes describes its 14″ Cedar Natural Luxe as the pinnacle of eco-conscious luxury mattresses, with the finest natural and organic certified materials and a premium Hybrid latex mattress design, rated as a medium-firm feel. We were really curious to see just how eco-conscious this mattress is!
- Cotton cover – Soft, breathable cotton cover. GOTS Organic cotton is quilted with wool for extra comfort and hand-tufted (with 100% wool rosettes) to secure all of the layers without the use of chemical adhesives.
- Organic cotton fiber quilting – Beneath that, a panel of certified cotton fibers is quilted right to the cover.
- Two layers Organic Wool – Following this organic cotton top are two layers of GOTS Organic certified wool to draw away moisture and regulate temperature.
- Alpaca Wool – Alpaca wool is a soft, luxury natural fiber that is also naturally hypoallergenic and flame resistant.
- 3-zoned organic latex – The latex is precision cut by use of a computer into grooved zones for three key benefits: The channels improve air circulation to stay cool, they provide more comfort for your lower back, legs and shoulders and aid in motion isolation. Their latex (D65) is made with the Dunlop process, which is the original process for natural latex and is more eco-conscious and more energy efficient.
- 8″ 5-zoned support coils – This is an 8″ layer of 5-zone pocketed steel coils which offer strong support to keep the sleeper’s spine aligned. They are strategically positioned to support targeted areas of the body. The coils are zoned, which means they offer firmer support at the hips and a little more softness at the shoulders to provide both spinal support and pressure relief.
- Organic coconut husk base – A layer of natural and sustainable coconut husk is bonded with GOLS certified natural latex by hand-tufting and without the use of glue. Coco fiber is usually discarded as waste, but Brentwood Home reuses it for its air circulation and antimicrobial properties. This section works to absorb some of the bounce of the top two layers, whilst providing a firm and breathable base for the bed without the need for polyfoam.
- Oceano Luxury Hybrid
- Cedar Natural Luxe
- Tencel blended cover
- Organic certified wool
- Polyester & silk blend
- 2.5" Plant-based BioFoam®, infused with cooling gel
- 2.5" Micro-pocketed coil support
- Certified high-density support foam
- 8" 5-zoned support coils
- Certified high-density support foam
- Organic certified cotton canvas base
- Optional pillow top
- Cotton cover
- Two layers organic wool
- Alpaca wool
- 3-zoned Organic latex
- 8" 5-zoned support coils
- Organic coconut husk base
Brentwood Home mattress firmness
The brand has a recommended weight consideration of 400lbs for individuals or 650lbs for those who are sharing the bed.
Oceano Luxury Hybrid
Brentwood Home measures its Oceano mattress as Medium-soft. This mattress may not suit all sleepers. Lighter sleepers may experience the mattress to be firmer. Most heavy sleepers may find this a bit too soft. A firm mattress topper or the Cedar Natural Luxe may be an option for these sleepers.
Cedar Natural Luxe
Brentwood Home measures its Cedar Natural Luxe mattress as Medium-firm. For lighter individuals this might feel firmer, so we recommend the optional plush topper for that softer feel and to get better pressure relief or the Oceano mattress. While heavier individuals might find this too soft, it may work for some side sleepers without the topper.
MATTRESS FIRMNESS SCALE
|Soft||Medium Soft||Medium||Medium Firm||Firm|
Oceano Luxury Hybrid
Cedar Natural Luxe
Sleep position, pressure relief and body type
A firm mattress is required for back sleepers to keep the spine in proper alignment. Body weight needs to be evenly distributed so that there is adequate lumbar support.
The moderate contouring and medium-soft to medium feel of the Oceano works particularly well for those under 130lbs but does provide adequate support to most back sleepers even up to 150lbs.
The Cedar Natural Luxe provides exceptional lower back support to keep the spine in alignment for back sleepers. A 200lb tester felt this mattress to be exceptional while on his back, with excellent spinal alignment.
The most suitable mattresses for most side sleepers are between a soft and a medium. Side sleepers require adequate pressure relief along the shoulders, sides, hips and knees. The medium-soft level provides the pressure relief you need for sleeping on your side. The Brentwood Home Oceano would suit side sleepers between 130lb – 230lb.
The Brentwood Home Cedar Natural Luxe helps reduce pressure build-up in the hips, back and shoulders. The pocketed coils are strong and supportive, even for heavier individuals. Side sleepers under 130lbs don’t sink very far into the mattress and would feel more pressure relief with the extra pillow top. In terms of spinal alignment heavier people may get some pressure relief as their shoulders and hips may be able to get deep into the bed to create a straight spine. Lighter individuals may want to opt for the topper.
Stomach sleepers need enough firmness and support to keep the hip and spine aligned. It is important that your hips and abdomen are supported. If these areas sink into the mattress, you will experience pain. The medium-soft feel of the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress prevents the feeling of sinking into the mattress for light to average weight individuals.
The Cedar Natural Luxe offers different levels of firmness depending on the body weight.
Stomach sleepers who weigh between 130lbs and 230lbs might sink in a little bit more but should still get a good amount of support. Unfortunately, the mattress is a bit too soft for stomach sleepers who weigh more than 230lbs. They would risk their hips sinking in too far, potentially resulting in misalignment of their spine and pressure build up. A 200lbs tester felt very well supported in this position.
Combination sleepers require a mattress that will allow them to switch positions with minimal resistance. The responsiveness of the Oceano is fairly good. It is rated as fairly bouncy and it bounces back quickly after being depressed, making it easy to turn over, switch positions, or get out of bed. The responsive dual-coil systems should aid repositioning for combination sleepers who change positions frequently throughout the night. The medium firmness and balance of pressure relief and support should make this bed feel comfy regardless of which position combo sleepers end up in. For the Cedar Natural Luxe the latex layers help to make this a responsive feel and the coils in the base add to this. This makes it also suitable for combination sleepers who like to switch sleeping positions at night.
Heavier sleepers need a durable mattress. The Oceano is made from an array of different materials and has a firm complex construction. The coil-on coil structure offers a lot of support. Heavier people above 230lbs may find the Oceano to be too soft.
A heavy sleeper would be more suited to the Cedar Natural Luxe than the Ocean due to its firm support. While this medium-firm option may be too soft for some heavier individuals, it may work for some side sleepers without the topper.
Petite sleepers usually require a softer mattress. The Oceano would be a better fit than the Cedar Natural Luxe, due to its soft and comfortable top layers of wool and memory foam. Side sleepers experienced adequate cushioning for the shoulders and hips. For back and stomach sleepers weighing less than 130 pounds, the mattress conformed closely enough to reduce pressure points but does not sag too much, owing partially to its supportive coil-on-coil design.
Brentwood Home mattresses edge support
The edge of a mattress should be properly supported to prevent sinking or sagging if you sleep or sit on the edge. While all-foam mattresses tend to have less edge support, hybrid mattresses tend to have better support around the perimeter due to the construction and materials such as micro pocketed and support coils. Both mattresses offer a good edge support for light to average weight sleepers.
Whether you sleep right on the edge of your bed or just end up there, then edge support will be important. A mattress with good edge support means a more usable area for sleeping and sitting. Edge support is rated as excellent on the Cedar Natural Luxe, when laying right on the very edge and Edge support was rated as good on the Oceano. The cover does slightly dome up higher than the sides; nevertheless it is stable.
|Perfect for||Thickness||Edge Support||Discount|
Oceano Luxury Hybrid
Back, side, stomach and combination sleepers under 220lbs. Couples.
Cedar Natural Luxe
Stomach, back combination or side sleepers with a petite to medium size body frame (under 220lbs).
Brentwood Home mattress temperature regulation
The Oceano mattress is a temperature neutral bed due to several comfort layers that assist with temperature regulation. The Tencel cover wicks away moisture and is a breathable fabric. The wool top layer aids with temperature regulation, whilst the memory foam layer is gel-infused to keep the mattress cool. The pocketed coil layers offer notable ventilation that prevents heat retention.
The Cedar Natural Luxe uses GOLS latex in their comfort layers which gives off a cooling effect. The top cover is made of natural, GOTS organic 100% cotton.
MATTRESS TEMPERATURE SCALE
|Cool||Medium Cool||Medium||Medium Warm||Warm|
Oceano Luxury Hybrid
Cedar Natural Luxe
Motion isolation and noise
We are happy with the low levels of motion transfer on both mattresses. The individually wrapped coils assist with motion isolation and minimises noise. Most combination sleepers and couples should enjoy their sleep with minimal disturbance. However, if you are a particularly light sleeper and share your bed with a restless sleeping partner you will need a mattress that isolates motion transfer more than the average extent.
Is Brentwood Home suitable for couples and sex?
The coil-on-coil layer of the Oceano makes it a more responsive mattress, whilst the layers of polyfoam that rest underneath each coil layer absorb sound and prevent squeaking of the coils. Most couples will enjoy the Oceano, and the luxurious, cushioning and comfort layers of the mattress. Couples should find that the Cedar Natural Luxe provides an adequate surface for sex. Although Dunlop latex is not as springy as Talalay latex, the combination of latex and coils nevertheless adds some bounce that is desirable for sex. The cotton and wool padding give it some traction. This mattress also stays cool and makes minimal noise thanks to the individually wrapped coils.
Durability and longevity
We consider the Brentwood Home Hybrid mattresses to be superior, luxury, hand-crafted eco-friendly mattresses. Foam layers use high-density materials that have greater longevity and resist normal wear-and-tear. Latex has a solid track record of durability, and the coils in the hybrids are reinforced in areas that will extend their useful life. The amount of research, details, complex construction and layering of the mattresses as well as the 25 year warranty validate the brands confidence in the durability of their products.
It is important not to compromise on the quality of a base, to avoid damaging the mattress.
The Oceano and Cedar Natural Luxe have spring layers in their support base, and won’t work that well on a box spring. We recommend a firm flat bed base, like a Solid Wood Foundation, or a Slatted base (with slats under 4.5” apart). If used with a box spring or slats wider than 4.5”, this could reduce the quality of the mattress.
The Brentwood website advertises an adjustable base as well as a minimalistic easy foundation.
COMPATIBLE WITH THESE BED BASES
Other mattresses by Brentwood Home
Made with cooling Activated Charcoal-infused, CertiPUR-US® certified memory foam with BioFoam®. It comes in an 11” Gentle-firm and a 13” Medium all foam mattress. It has an optional Hybrid upgrade. Classic 11” Medium feel or Luxe 13” Medium-soft feel. The 13-inch Luxe version just has an additional inch of Charcoal-infused memory foam with BioFoam® and an additional inch of support foam for increased pressure relief and plusher comfort. It’s ideal for couples, heavier individuals, side-sleepers or others who need a thicker mattress.
The Crystal Cove is unique in this range because it is a flippable mattress. This is a 13-inch double-sided hybrid bed with a reversible firmness design; it has one side that feels firmer and the other that feels softer. The softer side uses Activated Charcoal-infused memory foam and is Medium-soft, while the firmer side uses natural Dunlop latex foam and is Medium-Firm. The Crystal Cove mattress is suitable for stomach sleepers and back sleepers. On the soft side, only people under 130lbs are likely to enjoy sleeping on their stomach.
Hybrid Latex Mattress
This mattress is known as the “Green choice” and is the latest addition to their range. It is made with a very interesting approach and with alternative, natural, and recycled materials. The base of the mattress is made of recycled jeans, while the main comfort layer is specially designed “zoned” latex foam. The Hybrid Latex Mattress offers a balanced Medium-firm feel that makes it best suited to people who weigh at least 130lbs.
Brentwood Home mattress complaints
- Mattresses too firm: Some customers complained the mattresses were too firm and uncomfortable.
- Lost Firmness: One customer mentioned that the mattress lost its firmness after a year and became uncomfortably soft.
- It isn’t budget friendly – The Cedar Natural Luxe is one of most expensive beds from the range because it is made from such high-quality materials.
Our final verdict: Do we recommend the Brentwood Home mattress brand?
- Quality – GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) and GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard) certified and uses some of the best quality materials such as Tencel and BioFoam®.
- Health and safety – Uses some of the finest natural and non-toxic materials in the hybrid range tested to be healthy and durable. Mattresses have the standard CertiPUR-US certification.
- Organic and eco-friendly materials – In the category of being an eco-conscious mattress brand they exceed the health and environment standards with numerous awards. It has been 100% organic certified. GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment, which is not easy to obtain and very few mattresses have it.
- Durability – The mattresses are made with reinforced steel coils, high density organic certified foam and Dunlop latex.
- Value for money – Despite being a high-end luxury brand that meets rigorous health and safety standards, it is quite competitively priced.
- 25-year warranty – We are impressed by the confidence of the brand in their products by offering a generous trial period. They have a yearlong trial period and a 25-year warranty.
- Corporate Social Responsibility – Brentwood Home donates their returned, good condition beds to a verifiable local charity. They do not re-use or sell their second hand beds.
- Renewable energy, water conservation and recycling – Brentwood Home lives up to their ‘California ethos’ that compels them toward healthy living and well-being by implementing renewable energy, water conservation and recycling processes.